Tuesday, March 29, 2011

A few requested recipies!

When I am in the domestic moment, I tend to want to share it. Things tend to end up on my Facebook status. This sometimes generates requests for recipes. So here are a few of the recent picks!

Homemade noodles!
I love the recipe in the Better Homes and Gardens cookbook for homemade pasta. I think it makes my soups and lasagna taste so much better to use fresh or the dried and frozen version of this. Because it is their recipe, I can't post it exactly as is. So here is my slightly modified version. Homemade noodles can be a bit time consuming, so I recommend making a double batch and freezing half for later deliciousness.

You'll need:
2 1/4 cups flour
1/2 tsp salt
1tsp dried basil ( or oregano or parsley or whatever, but I like basil!)
2 beaten eggs
1 tsp oil
1/3 cup water

Combine two cups of the flour and the salt and the basil in a medium sized mixing bowl. Use a spatula to stir and make a well in the center. (The key to quick breads, pasta and pancake mixing is contained in a hymn... "All is well, all is well..." Corny. I know.) Then, in a slightly smaller bowl or a 2 cup liquid measuring cup mix the water, the oil and the eggs and beat until consistent. Pour this into the well and stir. (The reason I advocate a spatula, (I love the Tupperware one, it comes apart for cleaning, is because this will get super sticky.) Mix until all of the dry mixture is combined with the wet one. Next, use the rest of the flour and knead the pasta for 8 to 10 minutes, or if stressed, until your worry subsides, whichever comes second.  Let the poor dough rest for ten minutes, covered with a wet paper towel. Divide the dough into four roughly equal parts. Roll each out into a ten to twelve inch square. Personally, mine never comes out square or twelve inches. A little thicker pasta tastes just fine to me.  Let rest for twenty minutes, uncovered. This allows your pasta to dry out some before you cut it.
To cut lasagna noodles, measure about an inch or so wide strips and cut down the length of the dough. To make noodles, roll dough loosely jelly roll style and slice down the roll. (Better Homes and Gardens has a really great picture of this).  Let pasta dry for 24 hours on a hanger if you want to freeze. Otherwise, boil some water, add a little olive oil and boil for 3 or so minutes. Homemade pasta cooks fast! Pay attention! Enjoy. I may have just ruined dried commercial pasta for life for you.

The following disclaimer applies to the following recipes. I cannot, to save my life, make a decent cake from scratch. I love cake mix. So, each of these are quick ways to dress up a cake mix. Make it look a little fancy! 
Chocolate Orange Cake
1 box chocolate cake mix ( I like swiss chocolate! or devil's food!)
Ingredients to prepare cake mix as noted on box
1 orange peel
Vanilla frosting

Using kitchen shears, cut orange peel into tiny pieces. Mix into cake mix. Bake as directed on box or.... for super fun quick results, pour into a microwave cake pan, like the Tupperware Stacker Cooker and microwave on medium high power for 7 to 10 minutes. Cake is done in the oven when a toothpick or skewer comes out clean, or in the stacker cooker, when the cake pulls away from the sides of the pan. Let cool. Frost with vanilla frosting and enjoy! Perhaps garnish with some mandarin orange slices or some additional orange zest.  Enjoy the praise and admiration. ;)

Soda Pop Cake
For more easy, showoff fun.....
1 can soda. Your choice.
1 box cake mix.

Mix soda and cake mix. It fizzles. It pops.. It's so fun to watch! Bake as directed on box or use Tupperware Stacker Cooker.  This would be a fun Family Home Evening refreshment!

To purchase tupperware products

1 comment:

  1. I love these! I hope I'll have the patience to try some of these recipes soon. You are such a domestic goddess/homemaker Cate!

    ReplyDelete